Document Type : Research article
- Mohammad Afkar 1
- Parham Karimi 1
- Roghayeh Gavagsaz-Ghoachani 1
- Matheepot Phattanasak 2
- Serge Pierfederici 3
1 Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Department of Renewable Energy, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran 16589-53571, Iran
2 Department of Teacher Training in Electrical Engineering, King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok, Bangkok 10800, Thailand
3 LEMTA Université de Lorraine, CNRS Nancy, France
In fuel cell systems, voltage balancing is an important consideration. The utilization of a modular construction based on a three-level boost converter was able to balance DC voltage. This paper investigates the effect of parameter variations, such as inductors and capacitors, on the converter's steady-state controllable areas. The plot of the inductor current and the voltages of the output capacitors are illustrated for different scenarios. The system simulation results were performed using MATLAB / Simulink software.
- DC modular converter is considered to balance the output voltage.
- DC modular converter can be used in fuel cell applications.
- MATLAB/Simulink software is used to plot the waveforms of the system.
- Changing the values of capacitors and inductors did not affect the capacitance-voltage balance in the steady-state regime.
- The inductance and capacitor values do not affect the controlled zones.
- Saib, Z. Hamouda, and K. Marouani, "Energy management in a fuel cell hybrid electric vehicle using a fuzzy logic approach," in 2017 5th International Conference on Electrical Engineering - Boumerdes (ICEE-B), 2017, pp. 1-4.
- S-M. Nosratabadi, R. Hemmati, M. Bornapour, M. Abdollahpour, "Economic evaluation and energy/exergy analysis of PV/Wind/PEMFC energy resources employment based on capacity, type of source and government incentive policies: Case study in Iran," Sustain. Energy Technol. Assessments, vol. 43, 2021.
- R. Paital, P. C. Pradhan, A. Mohanty, P. K. Ray and M. Viswavandya, "Power management in wind-fuel cell-ultracapacitor based autonomous hybrid power system,", IEEMA Engineer Infinite Conference, New Delhi , pp. 1-6, 2018.
- Lü, Y. Qu, Y. Wang, C. Qin, and G. Liu, "A comprehensive review on hybrid power system for PEMFC-HEV: Issues and strategies," Energy conversion and Management, vol. 171, pp. 1273-1291, 2018.
- Zhao, Z. Tu, and S. H. Chan, "Carbon corrosion mechanism and mitigation strategies in a proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC): A review," Journal of Power Sources, vol. 488, p. 229434, 2021.
- Bahrami et al., "Design and Modeling of an Equalizer for Fuel Cell Energy Management Systems", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 10925-10935, Nov. 2019.
- Afkar, R. Gavagsaz-Ghoachani, M. Phattanasak, and S. Pierfederici, "Commandable areas of a modular converter for DC voltage imbalance mitigation in fuel cell systems," Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, vol. 48, Dec. 2021.
- Z. Hossain, N. A. Rahim, and J. a/l Selvaraj, "Recent progress and development on power DC-DC converter topology, control, design and applications: A review", Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 81, Part 1, pp. 205–230, 2018.
- Li and X. He, "Review of Nonisolated High-Step-Up DC/DC Converters in Photovoltaic Grid Connected Applications", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronic, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1239–1250, 2011.
- Chen, Q. Huang, C. Li, G. Wang, and W. Gu, "Analysis and Comparison of Medium Voltage High Power DC/DC Converters for Offshore Wind Energy Systems", Power Electronic IEEE Transactions, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 2014–2023, 2013.
- F. Tie and C. W. Tan, "A review of energy sources and energy management system in electric vehicles", Renewable Sustainable Energy Review, vol. 20, pp. 82–102, 2013.
- M. Fernandez, P. Garcia, C. A. Garcia, and F. Jurado, "Hybrid electric system based on fuel cell and battery and integrating a single dc/dc converter for a tramway", Energy Conversion & Managment, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 2183–2192, 2011.
- Costa, S. A. Mussa, and I. Barbi, "Multilevel Buck/Boost-type DC-DC Converter for High Power and High Voltage Application" IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, vol. 9994, no. c, pp. 1–1, 2014.
- Ratanapanachote, H. J. Cha, and P. N. Enjeti, "A digitally controlled switch mode power supply based on matrix converter" IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 124–130, 2006.
- Sulligoi, D. Bosich, G. Giadrossi, L. Zhu, M. Cupelli, and A. Monti, "Multiconverter medium oltage dc power systems on ships: constant-power loads instability solution using linearization via state feedback control", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 5, pp. 2543–2552, 2014.
- J. M. de Sousa and M. L. Heldwein, "Three-phase unidirectional modular multilevel converter", 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE) , pp. 1-10, 2013.
- Tang, D. Fu, T. Wang and Z. Xu, "Hybrid Switched-Inductor Converters for High Step-Up Conversion", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1480-1490, March 2015.
- Afkar, R. Gavagsaz-Ghoachani, M. Phattanasak, J.-P. Martin, S. Pierfederici. "Proposed system based on a three-level boost converter to mitigate voltage imbalance in photovoltaic power generation systems", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 2264-2282, Feb. 2022.
- Dell'Isola, Optimization of DC/DC converters for embedded systems including dynamic constraints, Dissertation, Groupe de recherche en énergie électrique de Nancy (Vandœuvre-lès-Nancy), Université de Lorraine, 2020.
- A. M. Roldan, A. Barrado, J. Pleite, J. Vazquez, and E. Olias, "Size and cost reduction of the energy storage capacitors," in Proc. Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2004, pp. 723-729.